In general, the Network Division is responsible for the planning, the development, the provision, the supply, the management, and the maintenance of the campus network including branch campuses. Now, there are 1500 units of switches and 2250 units wireless AP network that are monitored and maintained by Network Division which include hardware switches (core switches, distribution switches, access switches and high performance data centre switches), routers and firewall.
Here are the main roles of the Network Division:
i - Online monitoring and maintenance of Internet and the bandwidth of the network:
a. Main Campus: 7Gbps
b. Glami Lemi Research Center, Jelebu: 4Mbps
c. Nilam Puri Kelantan Campus: 30Mbps
d. Hospital Klang Hostel: 25Mbps
e. Institute of Ocean and Earth Sciences (IOES), Bachok Kelantan: 12Mbps
f. Hospital Banting: 8Mbps
ii - Monitoring and maintenance of network hardware such as Firewall, Network Switches and Virtual Private Network (VPN).
iii - Installation, maintenance and monitoring of the wireless network facilities for students and UM staffs which are made up of 2250 units of Access Point (AP) 802.11ac and 6 units of wireless controllers.
• To design and implement network infrastructure implementation processes.
• To provide access to the internet access for the entire campus, including branch campuses.
• To provide both wired and wireless network for staffs and students
• To provide and maintain network services, such as CCTV, Door Access, etc.
• To monitor network security, Firewalls, Network Private Network (VPN) and Intrusion Prevention Systems (IPS).