ICT Project 2008
Data Centre Management Division
- Uprade of Financial Information System server.
- Upgrade of Centralized Backup System.
- Upgrade of Storage Area Network capacity by 9 TB.
- Implementation of Verisign Certificate on UMPortal system to enhance security
- Acquisition of Verisign Certificate for SIS OAS system.
- Development of Patching Infrastructure to facilitate safe testing and application of security patches.
- Implementation of WebAlarm security software on Webhosting2 server to protect the integrity of web sites hosted on it.
- Upgrade of RAM in UMMail system.
- Upgrade of RAM in Human Resource Information System database server.
- Acquisition of new DNS servers to replace the obsolete systems.
- Acquisition of server for LDAP Wireless to enable users to leverage the existing UMMAIL accounts and passwords to authenticate to wireless network.
- Acquisition of server for Central Authentication System.
- Acquisition and implementation of Door Access System.
Collaborative & Communicative Applications Division
Collaborative & Communicative Application Division (Bah Aplikasi Kolaboratif & Komunikasi) was formed in 2002
Presently all application developed are Open Source Software (OSS) Based either by Joint Venture effort or by internal expertise. Joint Venture effort with selected vendor usually becomes the choice when the requirement to make an application available is rather urgent and our present existing technical staff either has not enough technical know how or not enough man hour to spare resulting from the fact that the personnel who developed the existing systems available are also required to support current continous users need.
The development activities by the division concentrate more on Community Based Collaborative Applications which basically aims to: integrate/develop various relevant available OSS technologies & platform with existing portal/system towards a manageable enterprise wide system for the university.
- Professional staff (Academic and Executive) from 50MB --> 100MB
- Support Staff from 20MB --> 50MB
- All students mail quota was upgraded to 20MB
Quota upgrade for UMMail File sharing according to categories :
- Profesional staff (Academic and Executif) the file sharing was Upgraded to 50 MB
- For Support Staff the file sharing was Upgraded to 30MB
- For Student the file sharing was Upgraded to 20MB
|Web Mail||Mail Client||Web Mail||Mail Client|
|Number of staff’s access on UMMail||43 881||Not Tracked||111 694||10 608|
|Number of student’s access on UMMail||83 563||Not Tracked||75 221||1 407|
Quota upgrade for UMMail File sharing according to categories :
|Problem Cases / Year||2008|
|Problem in sending & receiving emels||35|
|Not Receiving emels from Mailing List||17|
|Mail Quota Problem||12|
|Not Receiving Mail from Outside Mail Service||6|
|Max access per day||10,741||5573|
|Average access perday||1686.45||1961.27|
Statistic of information & Design updates and hits for UMweb site :
|Number of information updates done on the
main UM Web sites
|Number of Design Updates done on the
|Number of hits according to Google Analytic||Not tracked||1,080,519||82,283|
| Num of Pages
|Number of Departmental websites residing in CCM :||11|
|Sport Centre||10||128 pages|
|Asia Europe Institute||16|
|Institute of China Studies||7|
|Faculty of Arts & Social Science||12|
|Faculty of Built Environment||11|
|Faculty of Dentistry||11|
|Faculty of Education||12|
|Faculty of Engineering ( Dean Office)||5|
|Faculty of Law||7|
|Faculty of Language and Linguistics||9|
|Institute of Principalship Studies||18|
|Number of training done on usage of CCM||6|
| Number of Departmental websites residing in CCM edi 2.0:
|Number of pages Maintained / Monitored||8|
|Number of Training done on CCM edi 2.0||2|
|Number Conference generated by the system||5||9|
|Number of conference abstracts submitted into the system||12||53|
|Number of user trained||7||4|
Total abstracts uploaded into UMConference in 2008
|1||International Conference on Ethnic Relations: Issues & Challenges||2|
|2||International Conference on Project Management||10|
Total abstracts uploaded into UMConference until 11/3/2009
|1||Third International Meeting on Frontiers of Physics 2009||40|
|2||Seminar Ekonomi Islam Peringkat Kebangsaan 2008/09||5|
|3||International Conference on Research in Islamic Laws 2009/1430H||8|
|Number of users||388||1222|
|Number of Modules introduced in UMExpert||18||new||10|
New features/screen to capture more specialized information in 2008 are:
- intergration with Student Information System (SIS) which include screen for individual academician to view course and teaching evaluations, List of subject and student & Course timetable
- New page to capture the Publication abstract for selected display in UM WebSite
- Research Output
- Clinical Duties
- Leadership Designation
|Numbers of Research Synopsis Published for UMWebsite||53||21|
Statistic number of Journal uploaded into UM refereed :
|Numbers of Journal uploaded into the UM Refereed Journal System||
Faculty of Built Environment
Faculty of Medicine
New Moduls introduced in 2008:
Generate Research University(RU) Report from UMExpert from within RMIS are Research Project , Publication, Paten and consultancy Project enabling the IPPP to check umexpert’s data from within RMIS.
Modules upgraded in 2008:- Online Application (UMEKSPO 2008).
Statistic of Module introduced under RMIS :
|Number of New Modules/Reports Introduced in RMIS||4||New Modules||2||New Reports||2|
|Upgrade existing||4||Upgrade existing||6|
The Malaysian Civilization Portal is a project by the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, University of Malaya to showcase research and work on Malaysia carried out by members of the Faculty and those associated with it. The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences at the University of Malaya is one of few academic institutions in the country that has strength in all Asian civilizations – Malay, Islamic, Chinese, Indian, Japan, Korea, Southeast Asia and aborigine studies, based on various disciplines including Geography, History, English, Anthropology, Sociology, International Relations, Gender and others. The portal will draw its contents from these expertise and strength.
Befitting the ongoing global digitization of information, the portal will take the form of a web-based database to be accessible for all who are interested in the study of Malaysia. It is the hope of the Faculty that the portal will serve as part of University of Malaya’s contribution to the advancement of knowledge – especially on the uniqueness of Malaysia as an area of study.
| Numbers of Articles uploaded into the Portal
UM E-LEARNING USAGE STATISTIC SINCE SEM 2 2006/2007
|No.||Total||2006/2007 Sem. 2||2007/2008 Sem. 1||2007/2008 Sem. 2||2008/2009 Sem. 1||2008 / 2009 sem. 2
|1.||Total Courses UM E-Learning||192||239||316||221||180|
|2.||Total Courses Offered by UM||2470||2473||2423||2564||2414|
|No.||Number of Registered Users||As on Feb 09|
|Total number of registered users||16,889|
Introduction of Drop Box in 2008 :
Module Dropbox which allows students to submit assignments (softcopy) to their lecturers for each courses in UM e-learning is the latest module that had been added. Altogether UM E-Learning has 11 main modules (Announcement, Assignment, Documents, Forum, Learning Track, Links, News, Notes / E-Book, Online Quiz & Survey, References). Integration with Student Information System was upgraded. It enables the lecturers to get list of updated students once they activate their courses in UM E-Learning ( before and after the course confirmation date).
UMPortal On Module Staff e-Services
Most significant module introduced in 2007 was the Staff e-Services which had been developed capitalizing on the UMPortal engine platform and customized in a distributed manner by separate team members from Hris under the Administrative Application Division. All online forms under this category are integrated with the existing Human Resource Information System (HRIS) realtime.
There has been significant increase introduction of new modules under the category of Staff e-Services in 2008. Compared to forms introduced in 2007, only 4 types of online form was introduced under Medical Services and 2 types under the "Latihan & Perkembangan Staf".
In 2008 , 4 new categories were introduced namely:
- Penilaian Prestasi
• Laporan Penilaian Prestasi
- Cuti -
• Permohonan Cuti Persidangan ***
• Permohonan Cuti Sabatikal ***
• Permohonan Cuti Penyelidikan ***
• Permohonan Cuti Tahunan ***
-Perkhidmatan & Saraan
• Permohonan Kenaikan Pangkat Akademik
• Permohonan Kenaikan Pangkat Bukan Akademik***
• Borang Penilaian Potensi Kepimpinan (Penilaian 360°)***
• Pelantikan Dekan/ Appointment of Dean***
Just to highlight here that all the above mentioned online forms are accessible by UM`s Staff
UMPortal On Modules e-Organizer & Room booking:
Two responsibility centres : Pejabat Canseleri and Fakulti Alam Bina( Fac of Built Environment) requested to use the UMPortal room booking functions. The function enables both centres to control the nature of the rooms they made available in the system for either internal or external booking.
e-Organizer : was upgraded from the previous version to cater for integration with the HRIS database.The main purpose of the integration exercise ti to provide multiple point of access from single database. The move to integrate was partly resulted from the HRIS project to introduce new online attendance system that centrally record all the staff attendance and activities . The new system also enables staff to apply leave via the UMPortal’s Staff e-Services function ‘cuti’ . Hence forth, the staff activities of a certain department entered in UMPortal are also viewable from the new attendance system.
|Numbers of users logged in for UMPortal|
|Number of hits for UMPortal hits according to google analytic||55,597|
|Number of modules within UMPortal|
|Numbers of users logged in for Umisisweb||15,025|
|Number of hits for Umisisweb according to google analytic||228,527|
|Number of Modules tied to UMisisweb||20|
The Google Mail for UM Alumnus facility is hosted and administered by Google. The function and facility provided are similar to the normal gmail. The only difference between the ordinary gmail and the alumni gmail are :
• In the email address where each user will have " @alumni.um.edu.my" attached to their username.
• User are able to see UM logo on top of the google mail interface
Statistic of UM Alumni users :
|Number of users||195||1146||160|
From then onwards, Infos from UMINFO and Student Infos are transformed manually by (members of the UMMail Administrator team from the Mail version to the RSSFeed version.
After the successfull initial operation of RSSFeed, we then developed a standardised adminisration system which we called UMNews server to manage the news disemination via RSSFeed . UM’s community are able to view the updated news from various pages such as:
• Staffs are able to view uminfo via scrolling messages on the frontpage of UMMail and UMPortal
• Students are able to view student info via the scrolling messages on the frontpage of Perdana Mail and Umisisweb
Number of News Information managed via UMNews since inception :
|Numbers of RSS Feed News ( UMInfo Rssfeed)||1013|
|Student Info RssFeed||333|
Statistic number of Survey & Users trained for UM E-Survey
|Numbers of surveys conducted via UM e-Survey||3||39|
|Number of user trained||2||11|
Statistic number of PTj & Number of Users using IAMS:
|Number of Responsibility Centre using IAMS to manage their yearly budget||4||5||34||38|
|Number of new users trained||28||96||148||15|
Statistic total number of miscellaneous reports & letters generated automatically via IAMS:
|Total of 11 types of Miscellaneous report generated by the IAMS system||1681||25,468||82,416||15,785|
|Total of 6 types of miscellaneous pre-formated letters generated via the IAMS system||1||25||656||162|
Administrative Applications Division
- Integrated Student Information System (ISIS)
- Integrated Human Resource Information System (iHRIS)
- UM Responsibility Centre Information System (UMRCIS)
- Staff e-services System, UMPortal
- Financial Information System (FIS)
- Space Management System (Aperture)
- ICT Helpdesk System
- Property Helpdesk System (SAP)
- Attendance and Leave Management System (ALMS)
- SmartScore System
- Student Account Enquiry System
- Course Registration System for Post Graduates
- Course Registration System for Undergraduates
- Course Registration Enquiry System
- Extra Credit Hours Application System
- Address Update System for Post Graduates
- Academic Advisor System
- Staff Information System
- Integrated Property Management System (iPMS)
- Course and Teaching Evaluation System (CTES)
- Campus Card Information System (UMCCIS)
- Campus Card Encode System
- Scroll Awarding System (SASy)
- Door Access System (UMDAS)
- Examination Attendance System (EXAS)
- Multimedia Presentation for PTM Showcase
- Centralised printing of campus card
|1. e-Attendance System:
This system was developed for recording daily and overtime attendance. System is implemented in stages to several pilot PTjs. The pilot PTjs, as at February 2008, are as follows:-
|2. Integrated Human Resource Information System (iHRIS)
i). Recruitment Module
This module facilitates the processing of recruiment information, starting from the advertisement of vacant posts to the generation of staff number.
(ii). Promotion Module
This module facilitates the processing of staff promotion for both academic and non-academic staff.
(iii). Training Module
This module facilitates the recording and updating of staff training information comprising of internal courses, external courses, induction courses, Biro Tatanegara courses and English placement courses.
(iv). Service Module
This module facilitates the recording and updating of staff service information.
(v). File Management Module
This module facilitates the tracking of the whereabouts of staff personal files.
(vi). Allowance and Claim Module
This module facilitates the recording and updating of information of staff allowances and claims
(vii). Annual Performance Appraisal Module
This module facilitates the recording and updating of information of staff annual performance, annual salary movement, salary increment, KPI and others.
(viii). Asset Declaration Module
This module facilitates the recording and updating of information of staff asset declaration.
(ix). Service Record Book Module
This module facilitates the generation of the complete information on staff service, movement and career in UM. This information is compiled and extracted from various modules in iHRIS for the purpose of sending information to JPA.
3. Responsibility Centre Information System (UMRCIS)
(ii). Academic Promotion Module (Evaluation Officer Version)
(iii). Leave Records Management Module (System Adminitrator Version)
(iv). Leave Record Management Module (Leave Approver Version)
(v). Annual Performance Appraisal Module (System Administrator Version)
(vi). Staff Information Module
|4. Online Enquiry of Student Account System|
|5. Inventory Asset System|
|6. Attendance and Leave Management System|
- Online Postgraduates Course Registration System
- Online Enquiry of Course Registration System
- Online Current Address Updating for Postgraduates System
- Online Alumni Registration System
- MBBS Examination Module (phase 1) in ISIS
- Online Staf Information System
- Online Staf Leave System
- Online Asset Comdemn System
- Online k Maintenance JPPHB Helpdesk System (SAP)
- Smart Card Information System (phase 1)
- Central Printing of Smart Card by PTM
- Multimedia presentation for Launching of Open Source Function
- Multimedia presentation for Launching of MyRen Function
- Multimedia presentation for PTM Showcase
- Grafik Design for UM Strategic Plan 2005 - 2009
2. Financial Information System (FIS)
3. Human Resource Information System (HRIS)