History of PTM

The provision of computer facilities and services at the University of Malaya (UM) began soon after the Computer Centre was officially formed in 1965. This made the university one of the pioneers in computer usage in Malaysia. In December 1969, the Computer Centre took on an additional role of teaching and research of computer science and information technology. The Computer Centre Board was formed, comprising the Vice-Chancellor (as Chairman), the Director of Computer Centre (as Secretary), and a representative from each Faculty, Institute, Centre and the University Senate.

In 1974, the Diploma in Computer Science programme was introduced. From its inception in the 1974/1975 Session to the 1997/1998Session, a total of 300 students had been awarded the Diploma. The Master of Computer Science (MCS) and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) programme were two (2) higher degree programme by research approved by the Senate and had been administered by the Computer Centre since 1985. In addition, the Computer Centre offered a four (4) years Bachelor of Computer Science programme. The first undergraduate enrolment for the 1990/1991 Session was 50 students.

In April 1st 1993, the University Senate agreed to the formation of the Computer Centre Study Board. The Board proposed the establishment of a faculty to be called the Faculty of Computer Science and Information Technology (FCSIT). The existing Computer Centre was to be annulled and replaced by a Computer Services Division which was placed under the Chancellery. On September 22nd, 1994, the University of Malaya Council agreed to the formation of the Faculty of Computer Science and Information Technology (FCSIT), and the Computer Services Division. A sum of 4.2 million was obtained from the Ministry of Education under the Sixth Malaysian Plan to put up a new building for the faculty, with the necessary infrastructure for teaching, learning and research. The building was officially declared open by the Minister of Education, Dato' Sri Najib Tun Abdul Razak on September 26th, 1996.

The Bachelor of Information Technology programme started in the 1996/1997 Session, with an initial intake of 50 students. To accommodate an increase student population, an additional building was built which was officially opened by Datuk Fong Chan Onn, Deputy Minister of Education on September 21st, 1998. Since its establishment, the Faculty of Computer Science and Information Technology have been led by a number of distinguished persons. The following have served as Officially formed 1965 providing initial computer facilities using the IBM 1130 (located at the present network room old building)

1976 the new UNIVAC 1100/10 (introduced in 1972) was installed by Pernas/Univac
1978 fully operational using Univac 1100/10 (located at the present cctv room old building)...more

  1. 1 console with printer
  2. 1 CPU cabinet
  3. 1 memory cabinet
  4. 2 tape drives
  5. 2 disk drives 10mbps
  6. 1 printer
  7. 1 card reader
  8. Punch card machines
  9. Punch card verifiers machine
  10. 1 voltage stabilizer
  11. Magnetic tapes
  12. Changeable disk

1985 our new UNIVAC 1100/60 was installed.

 


Directors of Pusat Komputer, UM
1967 – 1973 Mr. Ong Yin Fook
1973 – 1975 Professor Paul Peach
1975 – 1978 Dr. R.K. Pillay
1978 – 1982 Dr. Tan Bock Thiam
1982 – 1990 Assoc. Prof. Ir. Dr. Mashkuri Yaacob
1990 – 1992 Professor Lee Poh Aun
1992 – 1994 Professor Ir. Dr. Mashkuri Yaacob

Head of Computer Services Division
1995 – 1998 Mr Ng Cheng Kheng
1998 – 1999 Professor Dr. Sharifuddin Md. Zain

Director of Centre for Information Technology
2000 - 2004 Professor Dr. Mohd Sapiyan Baba
2004 - 2008 En Faharuddin Hassan
2009 - 2017 Dr. David Asirvatham

Last Updated: 08/02/2018